Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Digital Citizenship - Prelude

Tonight I attended the Midget Boys Provincial Final Hockey game. As we arrived to the rink, I could feel the excitement in the air. That excitement quickly turned sour as fans turned attitudes from cheering on to out cheering to out rude'ing. As a watched the game unfold I began to think about my two year old son and what he would take away from this; new vocabulary, how to point your finger in someones face ... OR ... spirit of sport, camaraderie, sportsmanship, etc.

I then thought of how embarrassed I would be to call myself a citizen of our opponents team, based of the representation of fans at the game. Am I proud of my town, ya for the most part, but how do we promote citizenship. The following questions came to mind, the same questions I will ponder as I write my next post on digital citizenship.

1. What makes a good individual citizen?
2. How do individuals influence each other as far as citizenship goes?
3. How can we as teachers in the fish bowl, promote citizenship?
4. What inspires people to act in such outrageous and despicable ways that they convince
themselves that it is proper?
5. As a technology leader, I have less control on what I teach or speak of ... how can I influence
my students to stand up for what is right, in the right way?
6. Am I influence my students positively?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very important questions to ask, Eldon. What we teach about citizenship in the digital world can be compared with citizenship in the regular world. I relate to your question about the fish bowl. I have several students who have the right answers and behaviour in the classroom, but that changes in different environments...including the hockey rink. Can we prepare our students for the digital world and give them enough information to make responsible choices?